Monday, December 16, 2013

this is the beef fat I ground up last night, put in the pot.  I added 4 cups of water, and put the heat on medium
 
 
 
 
 
Once I saw this, I turn it to low.  and let it simmer

 
Mixing on occasion
 
 

 
 
....for most of the day. If you have the heat too high, you will scorch the fat. With will not make for good soap.

 
By now, most of the water is evaporated...

 
And you can strain the fat.  I usually use cheese cloth for this but realized a little too late that I didn't have any, so I had to use my regular strainer.
 
This is what is left that you will throw away.

 
You can see the bits on the bottom of the bowl.

 
 
This is what is thrown away.

 
 
 
After you clean the pot, you pour the fat back into the pot with more water, and let this simmer more.  You do not want to let all the water evaporate. Pour it back into the bowl and let cool (I put it out on the snow)
 
I will show you tomorrow what it looks like when it is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment